icanlocalize - any other translator users?
Thread poster: lydiar
lydiar
lydiar  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 01:25
French to English
Apr 7, 2011

Hi - I'm curious to know if anyone is using this localisation 'tool'

***Decided to edit this to be more constructive***

Does anyone have any tips to make it more usable - tracking terms, handling large number of one file projects, dealing with the lack of a TM, making notes during translation for bits you need to return to...

I'm using a notepad file, which is not very 2011!

[Edited at 2011-04-07 05:58 GMT]

Johannes Mueller
Johannes Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:25
Dutch to German
+ ...
Hello Apr 7, 2011

Hello,
What do you mean by use? I do translations for them and with their programm.
Franckly spoken, it took me one year to understand their system.... and it makes me sick everytime I have to do a translation for them.
Their rates are very low- and they charge commissions- so nowadays I hardly get any orders because the rates are unacceptable. Only if they (or their customer) agrees with my rate, I open their programm...translate.... and suffer....
Johannes

S E (X)
S E (X)
Italy
Italian to English
use your own translation application ;) Apr 7, 2011

Hi,

One of my very favorite clients really likes ICanLocalize, and I was recruited by the company specifically to work with this client. Because I like this client so much, I have found ways to work with the system.

This is what I do to get around the TM and glossary issues you mention, which I find hard to deal with, too:

When jobs come up that require the ICL software, I just copy and paste the text into a Word doc so I can do the translation in Trados 20
... See more
Hi,

One of my very favorite clients really likes ICanLocalize, and I was recruited by the company specifically to work with this client. Because I like this client so much, I have found ways to work with the system.

This is what I do to get around the TM and glossary issues you mention, which I find hard to deal with, too:

When jobs come up that require the ICL software, I just copy and paste the text into a Word doc so I can do the translation in Trados 2009. Then I cut and paste it into the ICL environment and go from there.

The standard rate is extremely low, but you can set your own rate, and also very quickly and easily adjust it according to each individual job. In any case, I find that instant payments and no need for invoicing/tracking down slow payers is a very valuable benefit of the system and worth something in and of itself.

Another positive: the support staff is extremely quick to respond to queries of all kinds.

Explore with caution: Instant translation. This can be really fun, almost like a translator game, but beware - as far as I know you can't see the file before you commit to the translation and can't even see who the client is.

Good luck!
Collapse

lydiar
New Zealand
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Apr 7, 2011

Cheers for the tips, my initial reaction once I actually started work on my first proper project (I eventually managed to get someone to agreed to a decent rate) is that I couldn't use it. (yes Johannes - I truly suffered yesterday!)

But I think I'll give Sarah's system a go for the rest of the project - which although annoying, should at least result in consistent work.

If anyone is reading this before accepting a project using the tool - make sure you are fully aware
... See more
Cheers for the tips, my initial reaction once I actually started work on my first proper project (I eventually managed to get someone to agreed to a decent rate) is that I couldn't use it. (yes Johannes - I truly suffered yesterday!)

But I think I'll give Sarah's system a go for the rest of the project - which although annoying, should at least result in consistent work.

If anyone is reading this before accepting a project using the tool - make sure you are fully aware of ICL's shortcomings (and restrictions!)
Collapse

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
0.038 is -quite- extremely low. Jul 4, 2011

They belong those few astonishing companies that work with one and the same rate for all languages. 0.07USD charged to the client (see their webpage), company takes 20%, so translators are expected to work for 0.056USD.

That's somewhere around 0.038 EUR. A q.u.i.t.e ridiculous rate. (The convenience not to have to trace late payers does not make up for something like that.)

A few days ago, an agency started to search for translators on linkedin for a rate of 0.03EUR a
... See more
They belong those few astonishing companies that work with one and the same rate for all languages. 0.07USD charged to the client (see their webpage), company takes 20%, so translators are expected to work for 0.056USD.

That's somewhere around 0.038 EUR. A q.u.i.t.e ridiculous rate. (The convenience not to have to trace late payers does not make up for something like that.)

A few days ago, an agency started to search for translators on linkedin for a rate of 0.03EUR and shortly after the word spread, answers from professionals started to arrive and slowed the flood of willing applications down for the moment.

I now cannot help but wonder whether the difference of 0.008 turns a peanut to a gold nugget. (mentioning that since ICL are calling on linkedin too, the thread with applications however seems to be endless. Let's assume most of them applied without checking their page and therefore due to not knowing how low their rates are which is a bit alarming anyway, but: all of them?).

Sure, it's possible to open an account there and to concentrate on projects coming with a maximum bid amount that meets the minimum rate of a translator, but since ICL's published fixed rate is 0.07USD, most clients expect to get their projects done even cheaper. And since there is a quite large number of underbidding "translators" there ready to work for as low as 0.05USD (minus 20%, so 0.04USD for the translator, that's around 0.027 EUR), I doubt it's worth the hassle.

[Edited at 2011-07-04 14:00 GMT]
Collapse

Xavier Novella Sinde
Xavier Novella Sinde  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
:P May 8, 2013

Hi,
I wanted to tell one thing, and ask another.

Ther first thing si thet althought it has been hear thet the average rate is 7 pennies, now it is 9 pennies...which is a bit better (not to throw fireworks but hey...)

The other one is... How do I get more clients from that website? It does seem to be impossible...I only got one app to translate so far...any tipps?

Thank you very much in advance!
Xavier

lydiar
New Zealand
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
no riches May 8, 2013

Hi Xavier,
I have continued to use ICanLocalize for some work, but only where I can set my own price. The projects are few and far between, so for me it's just another avenue for new localisation clients (most have become repeat clients which is nice).

Lydia

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I find the work fun May 8, 2013

About a year ago they raised the minimum rate to $0.09, although I charge $0.10, leaving me with €0.06, which is a lot better than what Spanish agencies are willing to pay!

Payment is instantaneous, the work is far from complex, you can communicate directly with the client and, best of all, the deadlines are very generous.

I treat work from ICanLocalize as a bit of unexpected, extra cash.

lydiar
New Zealand
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
accept the limitations May 8, 2013

I agree that the subject matter can be fun and 'easy' however I find the deadlines somewhat frustrating. On a large website translation project you are restricted to downloading only 5 files at a time through the Translation Assistant, these have a generous deadline of a few days, but I'd rather be able to download all the source text without limitation and treat the translation as a whole - not least so I can leverage repetitions etc. and ensure consistency.

The payment is definite
... See more
I agree that the subject matter can be fun and 'easy' however I find the deadlines somewhat frustrating. On a large website translation project you are restricted to downloading only 5 files at a time through the Translation Assistant, these have a generous deadline of a few days, but I'd rather be able to download all the source text without limitation and treat the translation as a whole - not least so I can leverage repetitions etc. and ensure consistency.

The payment is definitely instantaneous, however the minute the client hasn't uploaded enough money you can be left stranded halfway through your work with no way of accessing the source files until the client pays. This obviously affects my delivery and scheduling, especially as I work during the European night-time so no-one is online to respond!

I am like you though Helena, I treat it as a curious side project rather than a main source of income.
Collapse

Pablo Siredey Escobar
Pablo Siredey Escobar
Chile
Local time: 09:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
decent rates good payment system Oct 8, 2013

I also use it and the Payment system is pretty good. Instant translations are always very few words, but when projects start coming, there's a good chance you can get some.

I am aware that the rates were extremely low some years ago, but fortunately, Icanlocalize has begun to work more appropriately. 20% is rather high of course, but the translations are fun (most applications are using crowdosourcing these days, so it's good to know some companies and clients still prefer to pay a
... See more
I also use it and the Payment system is pretty good. Instant translations are always very few words, but when projects start coming, there's a good chance you can get some.

I am aware that the rates were extremely low some years ago, but fortunately, Icanlocalize has begun to work more appropriately. 20% is rather high of course, but the translations are fun (most applications are using crowdosourcing these days, so it's good to know some companies and clients still prefer to pay a little in order to get a good translation.

It's not the best system by any means, but it pays immediately and that is quite rare in our business.

Kind regards,

Pablo

[Edited at 2013-10-08 22:12 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

icanlocalize - any other translator users?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »