Thread poster: Alain Dellepiane
Alain Dellepiane
Alain Dellepiane  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:50
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 29, 2011

Full article: http://gloc247.blogspot.com/2011/05/xbench-free-tool-to-improve-your.html

Excerpt:

A common feeling in game localization is that assisted translation tools are too complex and ex
... See more
Full article: http://gloc247.blogspot.com/2011/05/xbench-free-tool-to-improve-your.html

Excerpt:

A common feeling in game localization is that assisted translation tools are too complex and expensive for our needs. They are overkill.

That's not necessarily true. There are now free and open tools that can be learned in minutes, giving measurable benefits in terms of turnarounds, quality and consistency.

One of these is surely Apsic Xbench, a free concordancer and QA tool which had a pivoltal role in our team. I will show step by step how it can be used in order to help your daily work

Full disclosure:
The article is mine, but I think it can really help if you want to implement some basic TM and QA as quickly and cheaply as possible. One brief article, two free tools and you're done.

Let me know if you have any comments or questions!
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:50
English to Turkish
+ ...
about TMbuilder May 29, 2011

Hi Alain,

AFAIK, there is a character limitation in MS Excel (at least in version 2003), cells with long sentences are displayed as: #########################

What does TMbuilder do with such sentences, or perhaps there is a solution in MS Excel settings that I don't know.

Selcuk

Alain Dellepiane
Alain Dellepiane  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:50
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No effect May 29, 2011

Hi Selcuk,

How are you? The maximum cell length supported by Excel is 32767 characters. Everything below that is fine and it's more than enough, as TM entries longer than 1000 words are just unpractical anyway.

It's true that Excel 2003 will only display 1024 characters per cell, but it's just a visual setting that doesn't affect content. Same thing for the text being replaced by ### after 256 characters. In that case you can even force all text being displayed on scree
... See more
Hi Selcuk,

How are you? The maximum cell length supported by Excel is 32767 characters. Everything below that is fine and it's more than enough, as TM entries longer than 1000 words are just unpractical anyway.

It's true that Excel 2003 will only display 1024 characters per cell, but it's just a visual setting that doesn't affect content. Same thing for the text being replaced by ### after 256 characters. In that case you can even force all text being displayed on screen by right clicking the cell/colomn and choosing format "general" (but again, that's just visual and the content is not affected at all)

Cheers! Alain
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:50
English to Turkish
+ ...
Thanks May 30, 2011

Now I see... the mystery solved. I always formatted the cells as 'text' rather than 'general'.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blog article: using Xbench as a low cost TM solution

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »