Thread poster: Melina C.M.
Melina C.M.
Melina C.M.
Argentina
Local time: 12:24
English to Spanish
Aug 30, 2012

Hi

I´ve been offered to localize a couple of websites and I happen to be a beginner in website localization. I found out that dynamic websites should not be treated the same way as static ones. I´m trying to figure out what are the best CAT tools to translate dynamic websites and how to extract text from it.

Is passolo an adequate tool for localizing dynamic websites? If it´s not, which one could be a useful and cost-effective one?

I was wondering if go
... See more
Hi

I´ve been offered to localize a couple of websites and I happen to be a beginner in website localization. I found out that dynamic websites should not be treated the same way as static ones. I´m trying to figure out what are the best CAT tools to translate dynamic websites and how to extract text from it.

Is passolo an adequate tool for localizing dynamic websites? If it´s not, which one could be a useful and cost-effective one?

I was wondering if going into localization would mean to invest a huge amount of money to be able to cover the different websites available on the market.

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Achim Herrmann
Achim Herrmann
Local time: 17:24
English to German
There is a 3rd party solution for SDL Passolo Aug 30, 2012

Hello,

SDL Passolo itself is not able to localize a dynamic website. The different file parsers that are available will support static website localization for various file formats like HTML, XML, databases, Java, Excel, etc.

A technical partner of SDL has developed a 3rd party solution that plugs into SDL Passolo and that allows the visual localization of a dynamic website. Using this plugin that supports various technologies (Java, .NET, etc.) translators can switch b
... See more
Hello,

SDL Passolo itself is not able to localize a dynamic website. The different file parsers that are available will support static website localization for various file formats like HTML, XML, databases, Java, Excel, etc.

A technical partner of SDL has developed a 3rd party solution that plugs into SDL Passolo and that allows the visual localization of a dynamic website. Using this plugin that supports various technologies (Java, .NET, etc.) translators can switch between a navigation pane where you can really navigate the website within SDL Passolo and a translation pane, where you can select items for translation.

Please contact Henk Boxma from RIGI Technologies (http://www.sdl.com/community/partner/find-partner/rigi-technologies.html). He will be able to show you the solution.

Achim Herrmann
SDL Passolo Business Consultant
Collapse

Melina C.M.
Melina C.M.
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Passolo and third party solution Aug 30, 2012

Thanks, Achim. I´ll have a look at what you sent me.

Melina C.M.
Melina C.M.
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Sdl third party solution link not working Aug 30, 2012

@Achim Hermann

I just tried to follow the link but apparently it´s not working. An error message appears.

Thanks!

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:24
English to French
A no-brainer Aug 30, 2012

translatormm wrote:

@Achim Hermann

I just tried to follow the link but apparently it´s not working. An error message appears.

Thanks!

What about removing dot and bracket at the end of the link?

Philippe

Melina C.M.
Melina C.M.
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
passolo link -try it yourself? Aug 30, 2012

Thanks for your detailed hint, but I had done that already

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passolo for dynamic websites?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »