Thread poster: Michelangela
Michelangela
Michelangela
United States
Local time: 09:47
German to English
+ ...
Apr 21, 2013

As American English speaker, where should I address questions such as: what is the every-day British term for
"gas station"?

Is it petrol station /gasoline station / service station / filling station?

Back to my dilemma, this is for me a pro L10n question. But every British native speaker knows the answer. So, how can I get around pro / non-pro problematic, that I'm sure would trigger immediate re-classification actions by some individuals.

[Edited at 2013
... See more
As American English speaker, where should I address questions such as: what is the every-day British term for
"gas station"?

Back to my dilemma, this is for me a pro L10n question. But every British native speaker knows the answer. So, how can I get around pro / non-pro problematic, that I'm sure would trigger immediate re-classification actions by some individuals.

[Edited at 2013-04-21 19:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-04-21 19:22 GMT]
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 19:47
English to Arabic
KudoZ Apr 21, 2013

Dear Michelangela,

I would ask at KudoZ; no worries!
http://www.proz.com/ask/

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 18:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Do you actually want an answer to that question? Apr 21, 2013

Just in case, and to save time:

Gasoline station: NO, not in the UK, although we do understand the term!

Service station: on the motorway, but this means that not only can you fill you car, you can also get a coffee, etc

Petrol station: slight misnomer, since it does sell diesel too, but very common, as is

Filling station: standard use

This link, for instance, shows both petrol and filling station used virtually "in the same bre
... See more
Just in case, and to save time:

Gasoline station: NO, not in the UK, although we do understand the term!

Service station: on the motorway, but this means that not only can you fill you car, you can also get a coffee, etc

Petrol station: slight misnomer, since it does sell diesel too, but very common, as is

Filling station: standard use

This link, for instance, shows both petrol and filling station used virtually "in the same breath". http://www.whatprice.co.uk/petrol-prices/filling-stations.html

Plus, "garage" which is what we have always called it in my family! ("Without getting all nostalgic or anything like that, the first time I went to the garage to get petrol for the car it was 73 pence per gallon." www.businessbanter.co.uk/news/2013/feb13/taxing-the-traveller.htm) But the term is ambiguous, because it can also mean "repair shop", ie where you get your car fixed.

Personally I'd go with "filling station".

If you do post as a KudoZ, I can always paste this there.
Collapse

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:47
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
FWIW Apr 22, 2013

I second Noni's take on the matter.
In speech I would say 'petrol station' (as a BR English speaker) if I needed to fill up my car (as in "I need to find a petrol station soon"), and 'garage' if I wanted to buy something in the shop (as in "I'm going to the garage, does anyone want anything?"), but I would probably write 'filling station' since, as Noni quite rightly says, they also sell diesel, and the other options are probably too colloquial for the written word.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:47
French to English
+ ...
What's the question? Apr 22, 2013

Michelangela wrote:

"gas station"?

It's not quite clear what your question is - are you asking how to classify these questions in Kudoz, or are you asking more generally what you should do about US>UK localization?

I can't comment on the former, but in general I think it's a good idea to get a native speaker of British English to produce text that is localized for the UK market, rather than trying to do it yourself. There can be more to the task than simply substituting one item of vocabulary for another.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
You should post them as English-English. Apr 23, 2013

If I remember correctly, you posted this as German-English, which is quite wrong.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My Dilemma - American and British terms

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »