Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Poll: Do you communicate with your family members in more than one language?
Auteur du fil: ProZ.com Staff
Pilar Díez
Pilar Díez  Identity Verified
Espagne
Local time: 08:24
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
English, Basque and Spanish Oct 17, 2008

Our language at home is Spanish, but my children are bilingual in Basque and we often address to one another in that language. At work i basically speak English.

Paul Kachur
Paul Kachur
Allemagne
allemand vers anglais
+ ...
WHAT did the teacher say exactly? Oct 17, 2008

We live in Germany but speak English with our children almost exclusively at home, with one exception: with regards to school and schoolwork.

There is no point in discussing matters of school when no similar terms exist in English to describe the German school system. And when discussing homework, I stick to the language that the problems are stated in, and when I ask exactly what the teacher had to say to my kids in class, I don't want a translated version (I know what translator
... See more
We live in Germany but speak English with our children almost exclusively at home, with one exception: with regards to school and schoolwork.

There is no point in discussing matters of school when no similar terms exist in English to describe the German school system. And when discussing homework, I stick to the language that the problems are stated in, and when I ask exactly what the teacher had to say to my kids in class, I don't want a translated version (I know what translators can do with language...)
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Espagne
Membre (2005)
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
How wide a family do you mean? Oct 17, 2008

Do you mean just the immediate family or also the family in a wider sense with in-laws, cousins, uncles and aunts, etc.?

Tatiana Lammers
Tatiana Lammers  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Membre (2008)
anglais vers russe
+ ...
Russian + English Oct 17, 2008

Russian with my family in Russia and English with my husband and his family in the USA

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
italien vers anglais
+ ...
Yes, but English is the lingua franca Oct 17, 2008

In my family there is a long history of looking far away for a spouse!
My grandfather started it by finding an Irish bride when on holiday, but at least they spoke the same language.
Their daughter, my aunt, married a Pole and their lingua franca was Italian.
In my generation, I speak Italian to my husband but English to the kids; my sister speaks German and English at home, so when all the kids get together they speak English. Now my son has a Romanian wife, so once again the
... See more
In my family there is a long history of looking far away for a spouse!
My grandfather started it by finding an Irish bride when on holiday, but at least they spoke the same language.
Their daughter, my aunt, married a Pole and their lingua franca was Italian.
In my generation, I speak Italian to my husband but English to the kids; my sister speaks German and English at home, so when all the kids get together they speak English. Now my son has a Romanian wife, so once again the lingua franca is English.
We'll see what happens in the next generation....
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 00:24
néerlandais vers anglais
+ ...
English and Dutch Oct 17, 2008

I speak English with my children and Dutch (on the phone) with my family in Holland. Recently my sister-in-law came to Canada for a visit and we had a three-way conversation: my sister-in-law tried to speak English, my daughter tried to speak Dutch and I jumped in to interpret whenever they got stuck. It was amazing how well we all understood each other.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Espagne
espagnol vers anglais
+ ...
Question of bonding Oct 17, 2008

Lydia Foster wrote:

I hate to think what it's going to be like if we have children one day!

I can only tell you it gets messier or funner depending how you choose to look at it

I generally speak English with my wife who's Catalan, but always joke that neither of us are getting much practice because I read somewhere that couples who have been married for more than 15 years only have an 800-word daily vocabulary!

With my oldest daughter, I usually speak English because when she was born I still didn't speak much Catalan.

With my second and third daughters, I generally speak Catalan, because they want it that way.

I'm sure every bilingual person knows that experience of bonding language-wise with someone. Generally, the first language you speak with another person becomes your lingua franca and it's hard to switch to another language with them (Am I the only one who finds it hard to look the other person in the eye when speaking a language to them that I didn't bond to them with?)

That question of bonding is noticeable when we as a family speak Spanish. We're all fluent, but only use Spanish if there's someone with us who doesn't speak Catalan or English. We all find it humorous to hear each other speak Spanish.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Espagne
espagnol vers anglais
+ ...
Spoken like a true Spaniard Oct 17, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

Do you mean just the immediate family or also the family in a wider sense with in-laws, cousins, uncles and aunts, etc.?

I'm always amazed at the Latin-Mediterranean concept of family. My wife went to see some "family" in the south of Spain last year. It was her grandfather's second cousin, or something like that. To her it was family. I told her it sounded like a long-lost or at best distant relative to me

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Espagne
espagnol vers anglais
+ ...
They want it that way.. Oct 17, 2008

I'm relieved to hear that I'm not the only one not providing my kids with huge input of my own language. Like John Cutler, my kids are not wild about me speaking English to them, and resistance is strong.

("With my second and third daughters, I generally speak Catalan, because they want it that way")

I speak Spanish with my husband because he's never going to learn English, and only English with my children when I remember to, and above all, when I'm not tired.
<
... See more
I'm relieved to hear that I'm not the only one not providing my kids with huge input of my own language. Like John Cutler, my kids are not wild about me speaking English to them, and resistance is strong.

("With my second and third daughters, I generally speak Catalan, because they want it that way")

I speak Spanish with my husband because he's never going to learn English, and only English with my children when I remember to, and above all, when I'm not tired.

Interestingly enough, the only time it feels reasonably natural to talk English to my kids is outside the house - it feels forced inside the house.

And please don't bombard me with comments about how I am depriving my children linguistically. I know. But I am so often so very tired...
Collapse

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norvège
Membre (2006)
anglais
+ ...
English and Norwegian Oct 17, 2008

My wife and I speak English (native language for us both) to each other; anything else is very unnatural, even though we sometimes end up speaking Norwegian to each other when we have Norwegian guests in our home, for example.

We both speak both English and Norwegian to our children and the spouses of those who are married (four of our six children so far have married Norwegians!). We speak mostly Norwegian to our eight grandchildren, but there is a gradual code switching develeopi
... See more
My wife and I speak English (native language for us both) to each other; anything else is very unnatural, even though we sometimes end up speaking Norwegian to each other when we have Norwegian guests in our home, for example.

We both speak both English and Norwegian to our children and the spouses of those who are married (four of our six children so far have married Norwegians!). We speak mostly Norwegian to our eight grandchildren, but there is a gradual code switching develeoping here too: our three older grandchildren (11 to 15) like to try out their English on us, and we encourage that as much as possible.

The five younger grandchildren are in a situation where their parents are trying to speak each language to their children all the time: the native English speaker speaks only English to the child, and similarly with Norwegian. If they can maintain this, it is a sure guarantee of a bilingual child, in the truest sense of that word. We are instructed by the parents to try and keep to the English track as much as possible, but we are allowed to speak Norwegian to them when they need to know something, or want to tell us about some exciting event that has occurred.

We are happy to be a "bilingual family" !!
Collapse

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
Chine
Local time: 02:24
People start telling tales... Oct 17, 2008

aceavila - Noni wrote:
And please don't bombard me with comments about how I am depriving my children linguistically. I know. But I am so often so very tired...

When I told them that my kids are predominantly German-speaking, they started telling me stories of multilingual kids who are perfect in x languages...

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australie
Local time: 16:24
Membre (2008)
anglais vers russe
+ ...
Danish, Russian, English Oct 17, 2008

3 languages:=

Susanne Glas
Susanne Glas  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 01:24
anglais vers allemand
+ ...
yes Oct 17, 2008

I speak Albanian, English and German at home.

Elizabeta Zargi
Elizabeta Zargi  Identity Verified
Slovénie
slovène vers anglais
+ ...
Yes... Oct 17, 2008

English, Slovenian and Arabic...

Jean-Louis S.
Jean-Louis S.  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 02:24
anglais vers français
+ ...
Mostly English Oct 17, 2008

English with my wife and French with my 3 year old daughter unless she is protesting 'No Français'!. When I see or call my siblings, it is French of course. A long time ago, my sister and I were sometimes conversing in Russian, our 'secret' language, as we were the only ones in the family having studied it and being able to have a basic conversation in it. It is a lost skill by now...

Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Modérateur(s) de ce forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you communicate with your family members in more than one language?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »