Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
ألمانيا
Local time: 05:02
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
Jul 23, 2008

Interesting news.
Unfortunatly the press release does not make it clear how Proz.com is supporting this project. I'm quite interested in learning something about this topic as it might influence my upcoming decision to renew my Proz membership.
Siegfried

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-07-24 02:08]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 23:02
مؤسس الموقع
Providing access to Connect (and in turn, interested translators) Jul 23, 2008

Hi Siegfried,

Basically, as I understand the site's role, we'll be providing access to the Connect platform for the parties involved in this project, and supporting their needs there. In turn, this may help them to find and work with translators who are interested in the project.

We did the same in the Muhammad Yunus project with Ashoka and dotSub, and that brought some attention to the site and our members.

Note that judgments are not being made on our par
... See more
Hi Siegfried,

Basically, as I understand the site's role, we'll be providing access to the Connect platform for the parties involved in this project, and supporting their needs there. In turn, this may help them to find and work with translators who are interested in the project.

We did the same in the Muhammad Yunus project with Ashoka and dotSub, and that brought some attention to the site and our members.

Note that judgments are not being made on our part as to the content. I for one am not familiar with the material.

Later edit: I realize now that the title for the press release, as edited by Drew for display here on this site only, is "ProZ.com to assist in translating Gary Zukav’s www.seatofthesoul.com in over 100 Languages" This not the title that was circulated and published, and I had not seen it until after it went live. Obviously it has led to some confusion. I am editing it, both on the home page and in the title of the thread. I hope you understand my reasons, Siegfried.
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 21:02
أنجليزي إلى إسباني
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
Well Paid Jul 23, 2008

I would hope this effort is well paid, it would appear from his site that Gary's activity is designed to reap handsome profits.

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
? Jul 23, 2008

Henry D wrote:

Note that judgments are being made on our part as to the content. I for one am not familiar with the material.

Should that last paragraph be taken literally - or is there a typo?

MediaMatrix

[Edited at 2008-07-23 19:50]

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
أسبانيا
برتغالي إلى أنجليزي
This might as well be written in Martian Jul 23, 2008

1. Who is Gary Zukav?
2. What is "seat of the soul"?
(I did some research on Google and felt I knew less about both afterwards than before I started).
3. Who is Muhammed Yunus?
4. Who or what is Ashoka?
5. Who or what is dotSub?
6. Why does any of this matter?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
مؤسس الموقع
Thanks, mediamatrix Jul 23, 2008

mediamatrix wrote:
Should that last paragraph be taken literally - or is there a typo?

A typo. Thanks!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
مؤسس الموقع
Further explanation Jul 23, 2008

lexical wrote:

This might as well be written in Martian

1. Who is Gary Zukav?
2. What is "seat of the soul"?
(I did some research on Google and felt I knew less about both afterwards than before I started).
3. Who is Muhammed Yunus?
4. Who or what is Ashoka?
5. Who or what is dotSub?
6. Why does any of this matter?

On 1 and 2, I can only agree with you. Drew (MacFadyen; see the site team page) has talked to the people and he was satisfied that anyway, there was nothing objectionable here. As for 3-5, sorry to be so cryptic! See: http://www.proz.com/employers/news?press_id=14

On point 6, I can say that I think the Yunus / Ashoka / dotSub project was useful for calling attention to ProZ.com as a site, and in turn the services provided by ProZ.com members. The platform also got enhanced as a result of it having been pushed by the dotSub folks. That is the idea here, too.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
أسبانيا
عضو (2005)
أنجليزي إلى إسباني
+ ...
Can't see anything inadequate at a quick glance... Jul 23, 2008

...other than the fact that they are mimicking Christian faith while keeping God out of the game. They twist the language to capture the attention of people and make some money, just like a host of other churches and spiritual groups out there.

Sorry folks. I just prefer the real thing!

I know, I know... Not strictly a translation-related reply. My apologies.

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
merely providing access to some of our tools and technology Jul 23, 2008

As Henry pointed out, this project will entail providing access to our Connect platform. As Henry stated, we are not making judgments about the content but merely providing access to some of our tools and technology.

PR and marketing are among my responsibilities at ProZ.com, and I felt that this press release could bring valuable exposure to our site and community, possibly leading to more job posts and more opportunities for our community members to network, collaborate and improv
... See more
As Henry pointed out, this project will entail providing access to our Connect platform. As Henry stated, we are not making judgments about the content but merely providing access to some of our tools and technology.

PR and marketing are among my responsibilities at ProZ.com, and I felt that this press release could bring valuable exposure to our site and community, possibly leading to more job posts and more opportunities for our community members to network, collaborate and improve their businesses."

Thank you for your comments.

Drew MacFadyen

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-07-23 22:38]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
مؤسس الموقع
Good point, Tomás Jul 23, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

Can't see anything inadequate at a quick glance...

...other than the fact that they are mimicking Christian faith while keeping God out of the game. They twist the language to capture the attention of people and make some money, just like a host of other churches and spiritual groups out there.

You bring up a good point. Of course, now we'll need a policy by which limitations are placed on who can and can't use the site to find translators, based on their beliefs. Would you care to outline that and propose it to the group?

(Sorry to return your sarcasm in kind, I hope you take it in good humor. Now, don't be surprised if a moderator comes along and removes both of our posts!)

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
ألمانيا
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
احياء لذكرى
Why does it matter? Jul 23, 2008

I am not sure that I want to support a site that

a) supports whatever religion or believe (what happend to the idea of the "fly fishing" site)

b) Crowdsourcing - the topic is getting more interesting by the minute
here a defiintion by wikipedia:

Crowdsourcing is a neologism for the act of taking a task traditionally performed by an employee or contractor, and outsourcing it to an undefined, generally large group of people, in the form of an open call
... See more

a) supports whatever religion or believe (what happend to the idea of the "fly fishing" site)

b) Crowdsourcing - the topic is getting more interesting by the minute
here a defiintion by wikipedia:

Crowdsourcing is a neologism for the act of taking a task traditionally performed by an employee or contractor, and outsourcing it to an undefined, generally large group of people, in the form of an open call. For example, the public may be invited to develop a new technology, carry out a design task, refine an algorithm or help capture, systematize or analyze large amounts of data (see also citizen science).

Let's face it - it is the technology used by Facebook, using volunteers to translate their website for free. Proz wants to be on the forefront of this movement, fine for Proz.

BUT WHAT ABOUT US the employees or contractors who are no longer required
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
بيرو
Local time: 22:02
عضو
إسباني
+ ...
Free translation for a new age-y project and free software testing for a localization supplier? Jul 23, 2008

Am I getting this right ...

and this project is about free translation for a very profitable, new-age, self-help, book

AND

free software (?) testing for a L10N agency that's developing a platform

THAT

makes the translation process more "efficient" (for the agency anyway)

BY

assigning the projects to a bunch of non-professional translators that are willing to translate for free

... See more

and this project is about free translation for a very profitable, new-age, self-help, book

AND

THAT

BY

assigning the projects to a bunch of non-professional translators that are willing to translate for free

the wikipedia project

OR

am I way off-line?
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
مؤسس الموقع
No, no Siegfried Jul 23, 2008

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

a) supports whatever religion or believe

Whoa, you have misunderstood. We are not supporting anything. You have to distinguish between what gets published on the site (and is therefore limited by our definition of scope), and the content that gets translated by our members (which I believe we have no business limiting, beyond the limits of the laws we are subject to.)

To put it differently, Gary Zukav can use the site to try and find translators, and translators can decide whether or not they want to work with him, given the content and job terms. But he can't post his views in the forums.
(what happend to the idea of the "fly fishing" site)

It was bass fishing, I think. Thanks for taking that analogy to heart!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
مؤسس الموقع
Not that, Claudia Jul 23, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

AND
THAT
BY
the wikipedia project
OR
am I way off-line?

Off-line, at least as far as my views are concerned. It seems that Drew is running a bit too far here with crowdsourcing as a buzzword. I'll ask him to edit his post.

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Did you say 'crowdsourcing'? Jul 23, 2008

Drew MacFadyen wrote (with my bold type):

... Crowdsourcing in translation has been receiving more and more main stream media attention including .....

The crowdsourcing model has been gaining in popularity across many industries and ProZ.com as the worlds largest community of translators is a logical fit - ...

By being at the fore front of crowdsourcing translation projects like the Seat of the Soul, ProZ.com will be well situated to bring in large scale crowdsourcing projects in the future.

The crowdsourcing paradigm is, in my opinion, totally incompatible with the standards and working practices of the professional translator community worldwide.

That this Proz.com's marketing people should see crowdsourcing as a worthwhile source of employment for its members/users displays a severe want of understanding of this business.

MediaMatrix

صفحات الموضوع:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com to offer Connect platform for use in 100+ language project

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »