Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 10:16
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 25, 2004

Hi folks,

I think you've noticed that sometimes people reply to posts using a native language of the poster (though s/he started the discussion in English). You can see one of the recent examples HERE.

I know that we live in time of democracy and anyone can use any language of personal preference but I can't understand the logic:

- If you want to communicate with posters in their native lan
... See more
Hi folks,

I think you've noticed that sometimes people reply to posts using a native language of the poster (though s/he started the discussion in English). You can see one of the recent examples HERE.

I know that we live in time of democracy and anyone can use any language of personal preference but I can't understand the logic:

- If you want to communicate with posters in their native languages why not to contact them directly via email?

- If you still want to make your message public why not to use English in order to let the majority of the site members and visitors to understand it?

And don't forget that there are many non-English forums at ProZ.com specially created for communication in languages other then English.

Are my arguments logical or have I missed anything?

Regards,
Nikita Kobrin
======

[Edited at 2004-04-25 22:19]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:16
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
- Apr 25, 2004

Well, let us read the Forum Rules of Etiquette:

4. English as working language
English is recommended as a working language in forums not specifically designated for other languages. Exceptions are allowed, as long as they do not make the discussion difficult to follow.
http://www.proz.com/forumrules

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Natalie, it's all about logic and nothing else Apr 25, 2004

I know that it's not forbidden to post in other languages. I simply can't understand the logic of people who want their messages to be public and at the same time cutting off part of the audience by posting in languages that fewer people can understand. Let alone that it's not quite polite, íå òàê ëè Íàòàøà?

Âîò ÿ cåé÷àñ íà÷íó ñ òîáîé áîëòàòü ïî-ðóññêè, à âñå îñòàëüíûå ïóñêàé ìó÷àþòñÿ äîãàäêàìè î �
... See more
I know that it's not forbidden to post in other languages. I simply can't understand the logic of people who want their messages to be public and at the same time cutting off part of the audience by posting in languages that fewer people can understand. Let alone that it's not quite polite, íå òàê ëè Íàòàøà?

Âîò ÿ cåé÷àñ íà÷íó ñ òîáîé áîëòàòü ïî-ðóññêè, à âñå îñòàëüíûå ïóñêàé ìó÷àþòñÿ äîãàäêàìè î òîì, î ÷åì ýòî ÿ òóò ñ òîáîé øåï÷óñü... Is it OK? Well, then post in any language you like. I don't mind, I will survive without reading it.

NK
======

[Edited at 2004-04-25 16:32]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:16
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
I just wanted to say... Apr 25, 2004

...that:

1) people do not read the rules

2) they probably know the rules, but tend to ignore them

3) they probably do not realize that there are people who do not know [XXX] language, but would like to follow the dicussion

4) most probably they simply don't realize that they are posting in a forum not not specifically designated for some particular language, it happens sometimes

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
If you ask about logic Apr 26, 2004

If people in one forum discuss a feature related to Mexiko, why should one not be allowed to participate in the discussion using Spanish? There are many colleagues who do not know enough English in order to confortably communicate in it, but they may very well be familiar with the feature under discussion.
It is not unusual in non-English forums that someone posts in English. Sometimes languages intermingle in people's minds so much, that they are not conscience of the language they are us
... See more
If people in one forum discuss a feature related to Mexiko, why should one not be allowed to participate in the discussion using Spanish? There are many colleagues who do not know enough English in order to confortably communicate in it, but they may very well be familiar with the feature under discussion.
It is not unusual in non-English forums that someone posts in English. Sometimes languages intermingle in people's minds so much, that they are not conscience of the language they are using.
If you are interested, what the Spanish message says, you can contact the author or use online translation tools. At least I fluently skip such parts of a thread.
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
IMHO, Nikita and Tayfun is right Apr 27, 2004

There quite often are situation I read interesting thread and then suddenly it reverts to Italian, French or German, usually it is done by a person whose pair is English- specific language. My understanding of above mentioned languages is very basic and it makes following the thread difficult. As to using translation engines- yes, it can be done, but it takes time, and there is not so much spare time lying around

Uldi
... See more
There quite often are situation I read interesting thread and then suddenly it reverts to Italian, French or German, usually it is done by a person whose pair is English- specific language. My understanding of above mentioned languages is very basic and it makes following the thread difficult. As to using translation engines- yes, it can be done, but it takes time, and there is not so much spare time lying around

Uldis

[Edited at 2004-04-27 12:21]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Choosing the language of your forums' post

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »