Any recommendation for a non-cloud proprietary subtitling/captioning software written in .NET?
Thread poster: Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Dec 9, 2021

Hello, everyone.

I’ve been hunting for a non-cloud proprietary subtitling/captioning software. As I’m using a GNU/Linux OS, I’d prefer to get something with native Linux support. Unfortunately, none of the software available offers that. So I would need to do some wizardry to make a Windows software run in my computer. Which is fair, I guess.

I’m specifically looking for a subtitling/captioning software written in .NET. This is because I’ve been having a great
... See more
Hello, everyone.

I’ve been hunting for a non-cloud proprietary subtitling/captioning software. As I’m using a GNU/Linux OS, I’d prefer to get something with native Linux support. Unfortunately, none of the software available offers that. So I would need to do some wizardry to make a Windows software run in my computer. Which is fair, I guess.

I’m specifically looking for a subtitling/captioning software written in .NET. This is because I’ve been having a great experience running Subtitle Edit on Linux. Mono has been doing an incredible job at that, in fact I feel like it’s more responsive and less prone to crashes now than it was on Windows.

I looked around and found only one that fits this requirement: Lemony. Based on a little research I’ve done, it seems alright and respectable enough for professional use. But it looks like it requires WMP, which may cause issues for me. Ergo, I’m open for suggestions if you have other non-cloud proprietary subtitling/captioning software to recommend, as long as it’s written in .NET and uses an internal player, or at least requires something readily available on Linux (i.e. VLC).

Yes, I’m aware that I can run any Windows software by using Wine. But I really don’t want to keep it installed seeing how bloated the whole package is. The initial download size alone was nearly 500 megabytes in total. It's inconvenient for long-term maintenance, even more so since I'm currently on the rolling-release channel. Mono, on the other hand, has a much smaller footprint. Just several megabytes if I recall correctly, including its dependencies. That’s why I’d prefer that.

Thank you in advance, and have a nice having to work despite end year holiday!

[Edited at 2021-12-09 02:28 GMT]
Collapse

Michel Virasolvy
Michel Virasolvy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:49
English to French
+ ...
Why .NET? Dec 9, 2021

Novian Cahyadi wrote:
[…]

I’m specifically looking for a subtitling/captioning software written in .NET. This is because I’ve been having a great experience running Subtitle Edit on Linux. Mono has been doing an incredible job at that, in fact I feel like it’s more responsive and less prone to crashes now than it was on Windows.

[…]

I've been working with SE for nearly 10+ years as a professional on Linux, and so far the very few clients that demanded me to use a proprietary software were using very exotic formats, some of them even dating as far as WW2. So… any particular reason you need the software to be both proprietary and developed in .NET? Just out of curiosity.

Mr. Satan (X)

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
TOPIC STARTER
The reasons Dec 9, 2021

Michel Virasolvy wrote:

I've been working with SE for nearly 10+ years as a professional on Linux, and so far the very few clients that demanded me to use a proprietary software were using very exotic formats, some of them even dating as far as WW2. So… any particular reason you need the software to be both proprietary and developed in .NET? Just out of curiosity.

Thank you for replying.

Anyway, that's the exact reason. On very rare occasions, some clients required me to work on their projects using a proprietary subtitling software, didn't matter which one. When I mentioned that I mostly use SE and Aegisub, they immediately turned me down. I'd like to have it ready just in case something like that would ever happen again.

As for the .NET requirement, as I mentioned in my original post, because I'm running SE through Mono and it has been running flawlessly on my Linux system. SE is written in .NET, so naturally I'd prefer to use another software in the same programming language. Running a subtitling software written in any other than .NET probably would need to be done through Wine, which I'm really trying to avoid. I find it to be rather bloated.

Michel Virasolvy
Michel Virasolvy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:49
English to French
+ ...
2 Options: (1) Back to the Windows or (2) Explore the Linux Seas Dec 9, 2021

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

[…]

Anyway, that's the exact reason. On very rare occasions, some clients required me to work on their projects using a proprietary subtitling software, didn't matter which one. When I mentioned that I mostly use SE and Aegisub, they immediately turned me down. I'd like to have it ready just in case something like that would ever happen again.

[…]

I'm just throwing my two cents here but of course, others are welcome to back me up or refute me on this.

First, if a client turns you down because you're using FOSS for subtitling, it's already a yellow flag. It means that company does not know anything about the professional subtitling industry, and they most likely never worked with professional translators, at all. Best case scenario, they had a bad experience with some scammer and they infered from that single experience that all language service providers must have 8K€ softwares to produce the 100% text files that are subtitle files.

Second, the fact they demand you to use a proprietary software, and you accepting, means you're okay with them bossing you around like trash before discarding you. If you're freelance, you're the one setting the rules, your client, no matter the size, is your client. If you say you use FOSS to work and they don't want to work with you, it's their loss, not yours. You have the skills and experience, it's only fair they agree to your terms of service… and rates. That here is a red flag for me.

On a side note, if you subtitle a work of fiction, you are also considered an author and your client is therefore expected to sign a collective contract to pay you first the commission (for the work itself) and royalties (every 6 months, for exploitation). I'm mentioning this here because a number of VOD companies are still trying their absolute best to lobby their way out of royalties. If you weren't aware, now, you know.

Third, even assuming you do find a good proprietary .NET software to reassure your potential clients, if you don't already have some background experience or a valid ISO 17100 certification to show them you're worth the money, they may still deny you any kind of collaboration. Worse, if your current, paying client just doesn't have any more text to send your way, you're in for a ride because these days, proprietary softwares are monetized ‘as a service’, meaning you'll have to keep paying to use them or go back to SE anyway.

For these minor, questionable reasons, I suggest you either stand your grounds as a Linux-based professional, or get to Windows in the hope to find clients able to pay you the software you seek and cover your licence fees.

Now, I'll be honest, SE does have a couple of drawbacks for pro subtitlers like me:
— No glossary management.
— No active CPL (to prevent the lines from getting too long).
— No management for multiple sound tracks of source files (if you want to mute the background noise and just get the sampled voices, for instance).
To some extent, I would appreciate if SE had a FOSS competitor. But to go proprietary for the sake of having 1 or 2 clients who will treat you like a worthless commodity? That's like accepting to be handcuffed to a typewriter and thrown down a well. Who in their right mind would agree to that?

Just a reminder, though: that's only my take on the matter. If Novian can find his typew… I mean, his proprietary subtitling software, good for him.

[Modifié le 2021-12-09 23:37 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
TOPIC STARTER
Agreed Dec 10, 2021

Michel Virasolvy wrote:

First, if a client turns you down because you're using FOSS for subtitling, it's already a yellow flag. It means that company does not know anything about the professional subtitling industry, and they most likely never worked with professional translators, at all. Best case scenario, they had a bad experience with some scammer and they infered from that single experience that all language service providers must have 8K€ softwares to produce the 100% text files that are subtitle files.

I wouldn't know for sure. But I prefer to see it just like the CAT tools. Not all translators work using Trados or MemoQ. But I'd imagine having either one of those at their disposal would smooth things out for them.

Then again, we subtitlers are less dependent on a particular gimmick the software has. So maybe I'm the crazy one here.

Second, the fact they demand you to use a proprietary software, and you accepting, means you're okay with them bossing you around like trash before discarding you. If you're freelance, you're the one setting the rules, your client, no matter the size, is your client. If you say you use FOSS to work and they don't want to work with you, it's their loss, not yours. You have the skills and experience, it's only fair they agree to your terms of service… and rates. That here is a red flag for me.

One of (I guess) my biggest weaknesses is that when I love something, I'd be obsessed with it. That also includes my profession. Back when I was working as an apprentice cook, there was one time when our hotel had a full occupancy. The hotel offered free breakfast, so unsurprisingly, that was a very busy morning. On top of that, there were a lot of banquet events on lunch and dinner as well. I believe I worked for (or at least nearly) 24 hours straight without taking a break. I felt like I had the obligation to give my best, even though a lot of the guests were kind of rude. My friend in college who had a background in psychology had warned me about this. Guess some things never change.

Ah, sorry for the random outburst. I can't help but feeling nostalgic, even for things happened not too long ago. Another one of my weakness.

Anyway, I think this is where freelance translators and agencies/end-clients have different perspectives at. A lot of freelance translators, myself included, view themselves as business partners. In fact, legally speaking, we are referred as independent contractors. We shouldn't be different than those who build highways or skyscrapers. Yet, many agencies/end-clients consider us as nothing more than cheap labors. This very recent thread perfectly mirrors that perception of mine.

On a side note, if you subtitle a work of fiction, you are also considered an author and your client is therefore expected to sign a collective contract to pay you first the commission (for the work itself) and royalties (every 6 months, for exploitation). I'm mentioning this here because a number of VOD companies are still trying their absolute best to lobby their way out of royalties. If you weren't aware, now, you know.

I actually looked up about this. In some contracts, it was stated that I would have to agree to transfer the rights for the subtitles I translated and/or created. I was trying to find ways how to improve the situation, but I wasn't sure what to do and I was concerned it'd backfire on me. I'll think again about it, thank you for reminding me.

Third, even assuming you do find a good proprietary .NET software to reassure your potential clients, if you don't already have some background experience or a valid ISO 17100 certification to show them you're worth the money, they may still deny you any kind of collaboration.

That's not the worst idea, actually. I've been thinking to get some sort of certification if only for the sake of marketing. Too bad Netflix shut down HERMES, I could've taken advantage of that.

Worse, if your current, paying client just doesn't have any more text to send your way, you're in for a ride because these days, proprietary softwares are monetized ‘as a service’, meaning you'll have to keep paying to use them or go back to SE anyway.

Yes, that was a bit of my concern. I'd probably pick something with per-new version license renewal policy. So if I couldn't afford it, I can just not upgrade and keep the older version.

For these minor, questionable reasons, I suggest you either stand your grounds as a Linux-based professional, or get to Windows in the hope to find clients able to pay you the software you seek and cover your licence fees.

The second option is definitely a no go for me. I kept having to fix issues everytime there was an update on Windows. And if I wanted to keep using that OS by upgrading to Windows 11, I'll have to buy a new PC, as my laptop is still rocking Sandy Bridge. Linux is a much better option IMHO. There has been less headaches since I migrated to it. I'm totally happy with this.

To some extent, I would appreciate if SE had a FOSS competitor. But to go proprietary for the sake of having 1 or 2 clients who will treat you like a worthless commodity? That's like accepting to be handcuffed to a typewriter and thrown down a well. Who in their right mind would agree to that?

I probably would have to say that I have no intention to replace Aegisub and SE with a proprietary subtitling software. I know the former two almost like the back of my hand. I don't think it's reasonable to just throw away tools I'm proficient with. When a client doesn't require me to use a particular software, I'll just rotate between various tools I have installed to keep myself in shape. The proprietary software would only be an addition to the collection, not a replacement.

Just a reminder, though: that's only my take on the matter. If Novian can find his typew… I mean, his proprietary subtitling software, good for him.

No, I think you're right. I'll keep trying to find the software I'm looking for. But if I don't find it, I won't be too concerned. Thank you for your suggestions anyway, much appreciated.

[Edited at 2021-12-10 03:35 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Windows VM/WINE (and WINE helpers) Dec 12, 2021

I don't have any specific software in mind, but if your computer has or can support more than a certain amount of RAM (say 8GB, preferably more), I think it would make sense to keep a Windows VM around. This may give you access to utilities or applications that are otherwise impossible to install on Linux.

For productivity reasons, I would not recommend performing the actual work on a Windows VM, but for purposes of checking/finalizing and performing light work (like one woul
... See more
I don't have any specific software in mind, but if your computer has or can support more than a certain amount of RAM (say 8GB, preferably more), I think it would make sense to keep a Windows VM around. This may give you access to utilities or applications that are otherwise impossible to install on Linux.

For productivity reasons, I would not recommend performing the actual work on a Windows VM, but for purposes of checking/finalizing and performing light work (like one would do with Trados or MemoQ on a Windows VM), it might be the best solution.

I understand your preference for Mono (although Subtitle Edit appearance seems noticeably better when I launch it via WINE instead of Mono), and .NET applications, but in this situation, I would not dismiss WINE and its derivatives in my quest to find Windows subtitling apps that can run on Linux.

Granted, WINE has many dependencies (and normally, you also need to enable the 32-bit architecture), but space is not really a problem nowadays. Is it?

If you fear that the frequent updates (due to your rolling distro) might brake things, please note you don't necessarily need to run a (compatible) app directly through WINE. You can use a helper app (like PlayOnLinux, Q4wine or CrossOver, the latter is not free) to manage prefixes and/or install the app in a specific "bottle" or container, along with the software you want (like .NET version, etc.), specific Wine version, etc. This makes things more stable and sandboxed, in a way.

Checking the WineHQ and CrossOver apps database, I did not find proprietary subtitling apps, so there is no guarantee such an app can be found. Hence, I would primarily focus on setting up a Windows VM and having at least one application like the ones you seek, before searching to find apps you can directly launch via WINE/Mono.
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
TOPIC STARTER
VM and Wine Dec 13, 2021

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

For productivity reasons, I would not recommend performing the actual work on a Windows VM, but for purposes of checking/finalizing and performing light work (like one would do with Trados or MemoQ on a Windows VM), it might be the best solution.

That's not the worst idea, either. Thanks, Jean. My machine can support up to 16GB, and I do have VirtualBox installed to try out some Linux distros once in a while. Maybe I can utilize that instead.

I understand your preference for Mono (although Subtitle Edit appearance seems noticeably better when I launch it via WINE instead of Mono), and .NET applications, but in this situation, I would not dismiss WINE and its derivatives in my quest to find Windows subtitling apps that can run on Linux.

Granted, WINE has many dependencies (and normally, you also need to enable the 32-bit architecture), but space is not really a problem nowadays. Is it?

I just don't like bloat, that's all. I've tried my best to setup a minimal install of openSUSE, so installing a bloated program like Wine seems counterproductive. I also don't like having the capability to run Windows malware. With Mono, I can only run .NET software. And to my (admittedly limited) knowledge, it's very rare for attackers to program their malware in .NET, if that even existed at all.

If you fear that the frequent updates (due to your rolling distro) might brake things, please note you don't necessarily need to run a (compatible) app directly through WINE.

Relax. Even if everything fell apart, I have YaST Snapper and Clonezilla image backups to save the day.

Checking the WineHQ and CrossOver apps database, I did not find proprietary subtitling apps, so there is no guarantee such an app can be found. Hence, I would primarily focus on setting up a Windows VM and having at least one application like the ones you seek, before searching to find apps you can directly launch via WINE/Mono.

Yes, that's the issue with proprietary subtitling software. Even my usual channels which I always use to check software specifications don't have them in their database. The fact that most of these proprietary subtitling software never stated their system requirements also doesn't help.

And not even a demo to try out either?

[Edited at 2021-12-13 12:17 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any recommendation for a non-cloud proprietary subtitling/captioning software written in .NET?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »