Thread poster: Rychelle Brittain
Rychelle Brittain
Rychelle Brittain  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:26
Japanese to English
+ ...
Feb 28, 2022

So I normally use Subtitle Edit, but I wanted to give Aegisub a go.

But I've encountered an issue with CPS.
Normally if you want a CPS of 12 you would times the length of the subtitle card by 12, right?

Well Subtitle Edit seems to calculate this fine, but Aegisub seems to be way out of whack.
I have set both programs to have a preferred CPS of 12.

Let me copy over some of the data from Excel which might help explain things a bit better.
... See more
So I normally use Subtitle Edit, but I wanted to give Aegisub a go.

But I've encountered an issue with CPS.
Normally if you want a CPS of 12 you would times the length of the subtitle card by 12, right?

Well Subtitle Edit seems to calculate this fine, but Aegisub seems to be way out of whack.
I have set both programs to have a preferred CPS of 12.

Let me copy over some of the data from Excel which might help explain things a bit better.

Chars Used Max Chars Duration SubtitleEditCPS AegisubCPS
22 28 2.37 9.28 7
16 17 1.40 13.22 9
24 31 2.58 9.69 6
9 18 1.54 8.84 3
33 33 2.77 12.18 9

I am doing this exercise for a class, so normally I wouldn't be so picky about this when actually translating subtitles.
But also at the same time, if either Subtitle Edit or Aegisub is just completely WRONG when it comes to CPS, I'd like to know so I can avoid that program.

[Edited at 2022-02-28 06:12 GMT]
Collapse

Veronica Montserrat
Veronica Montserrat
France
Local time: 16:56
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
. Feb 28, 2022

Sorry, I misread the question.

[Edited at 2022-02-28 09:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-28 10:00 GMT]

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:56
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
frame rates Feb 28, 2022

Hi, did you check the default frame rates of each program or the videos you're using? This may cause the discrepancy.

Kristopher Brame
Kristopher Brame  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:56
Member (2018)
German to English
+ ...
Check your settings Feb 28, 2022

My only thought is that your CPS settings may be excluding spaces and punctuation. Go to View > Options > Interface. You'll see a "character counter" section. See if the "Ignore whitespace" and "Ignore punctuation" boxes are checked.

Personally, I only use Aegisub if I need to style an .ass file. For the actual subtitling work, I like Subtitle Edit much better.

Good luck

Josephine Cassar
Mr. Satan (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aegisub VS Subtitle Edit - CPS seems to be out of whack

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »