Thread poster: Vsevolod Radkevich
Vsevolod Radkevich
Vsevolod Radkevich
Local time: 00:35
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 2, 2022

Dear fellows and colleagues,
I am wondering what would be the subtitling rates for projects per minute of subtitling:

English-Swedish
English-Finnish

Software: Subtitle Edit

Source: series about politics, 26 episodes, 30 minutes each

European market.

Would appreciate any answer.

Jose Mariano

AMSTEL TRANSLATIONS
AMSTEL TRANSLATIONS
Netherlands
Local time: 23:35
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
There is a need for community rates for subtitlng Apr 14, 2022

Hi,
I have been wondering the same thing. Not specifically for this language combination, but in general.
There are community rates for translation, but there aren't any for subtitling, if I am correct.
It would be really helpful if there were. Since certain big companies, like HBO, are putting themselves on the streaming market, there are a lot of subtitling job posts nowadays. However, the rates the agencies are willing to pay seem unreasonably low, considering that this is
... See more
Hi,
I have been wondering the same thing. Not specifically for this language combination, but in general.
There are community rates for translation, but there aren't any for subtitling, if I am correct.
It would be really helpful if there were. Since certain big companies, like HBO, are putting themselves on the streaming market, there are a lot of subtitling job posts nowadays. However, the rates the agencies are willing to pay seem unreasonably low, considering that this is a multi-billion market and undoubtedly huge profits are made.
In my view, the agencies posting these jobs should either negotiate better deals, or be willing to share a bigger part of the profit with the translator, or both.
In general, agencies are not willing to pay the translator more than 6 USD per minute video and there are quite some who pay even less, which, in my view, is not acceptable, considering that subtitling is quite a time consuming job, which requires specific skills.
Collapse

Jose Mariano
Antonino Proscenio
Adriana Felicio

Brian Joyce
Brian Joyce  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2022)
French to English
$6 video minute? Apr 16, 2022

As a newcomer to subtitling, can I just ask the $6 rate, does that come with the transcription ready for the subtitler to use. Or do you have to transcribe it yourself first because the two are very different jobs.....

Rita Utt
Rita Utt  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:35
English to German
+ ...
6 Dollar per Video minute is hardly enough Apr 21, 2022

if you get script, templates (meaning timecodes) and if the video is easy to translate.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling rates for potential project with Swedish and English

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »