LaureneC
LaureneC  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:57
English to French
+ ...
Apr 15, 2022

Hi everyone!

Would simultaneous subtitiling fall into the range of subtitling or interpreting?...
I'd say interpreting.

Does anyone here have any experience with this?
The setting in which I'm being asked to help (not with the subtitiling itself, but with the organisation) is a symposium with English and French speakers, and their conversation would be streamed on YouTube. English-speaking and French-speaking interpreters would be typing/translating live.... See more
Hi everyone!

Would simultaneous subtitiling fall into the range of subtitling or interpreting?...
I'd say interpreting.

Does anyone here have any experience with this?
The setting in which I'm being asked to help (not with the subtitiling itself, but with the organisation) is a symposium with English and French speakers, and their conversation would be streamed on YouTube. English-speaking and French-speaking interpreters would be typing/translating live.

Does that make sense?

Also, anyone interested?
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Dalia Nour

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Re: Simultaneous subtitling Apr 15, 2022

Laurene CABARET wrote:

Hi everyone!

I'd say interpreting.

If you're talking about live captioning, then yes. I do agree that this should fall into the interpreting category.

English-speaking and French-speaking interpreters would be typing/translating live.

That sounds like a huge PITA. Is there no way to make the process a bit less of a manual labor? I'm genuinely asking.

Also, anyone interested?

I'll pass. I'd rather play strip poker with Kim Jong-un than live captioning.

Thayenga
Jan Truper
Kristopher Brame

LaureneC
LaureneC  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:57
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
oh ok Apr 15, 2022

thanks for your candour

Mr. Satan (X)

Kristopher Brame
Kristopher Brame  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:57
Member (2018)
German to English
+ ...
More interpreting than subtitling Apr 15, 2022

I actually watched an ATA presentation on this.

They typically pair an interpreter with a live captioner (re-speaker). So the live captioner has trained an AI machine to recognize their voice, and they listen to audio in their headphones, then respeak it into a microphone to the AI that has been trained to their voice (and then hit buttons for punctuation or say "full stop" or something). It seems pretty impossible for someone to type fast enough without stenography. The biggest pro
... See more
I actually watched an ATA presentation on this.

They typically pair an interpreter with a live captioner (re-speaker). So the live captioner has trained an AI machine to recognize their voice, and they listen to audio in their headphones, then respeak it into a microphone to the AI that has been trained to their voice (and then hit buttons for punctuation or say "full stop" or something). It seems pretty impossible for someone to type fast enough without stenography. The biggest problem they mentioned in the presentation was figuring out all of the names that could possibly come up beforehand because the AI will obviously butcher those.

So, basically it goes: Source audio > Interpreter interprets into target language > Live captioner respeaks it into live captions.

Definitely not easy to do.

I'll be playing strip poker with Novian and Kim Jong-il.
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Lingua 5B
Elena Feriani
LaureneC

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Simultaneous subtitling

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »