Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Lionbridge PMs can "detect" the use of SDL over their proprietary CAT tool?
Thread poster: Rebekah Olson
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: The post its replying to has been removed.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Rebekah Olson
Rebekah Olson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:31
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but Jan 12, 2023

Thank you all so much for your detailed take on exactly how the file can indeed appear as changed. I had half thought these PMs were making it up, but I guess not!

In this case then, does anyone have a work-around for their extremely expensive SUBSCRIPTION-based software? I keep being told that to work with them I HAVE to use their software, which costs some $500 a year, every year indefinitely.

The PMs I work with do not provide log-in credentials to access or use any
... See more
Thank you all so much for your detailed take on exactly how the file can indeed appear as changed. I had half thought these PMs were making it up, but I guess not!

In this case then, does anyone have a work-around for their extremely expensive SUBSCRIPTION-based software? I keep being told that to work with them I HAVE to use their software, which costs some $500 a year, every year indefinitely.

The PMs I work with do not provide log-in credentials to access or use any free version of the software. Indeed, most of them do not even seem to know we have to pay to work with them. And they all require that I provide something called an LTB report, which, as I understand it, is only possible by using their software.

I am reaching a hard point here, personally. I recently had to completely push that other extremely large, extremely toxic translation agency out of my life because working with them (in-house for 3 years, out for 3 years) was just killing me in every way. But at least with them I could use Trados despite their proprietary software being Wordfast.

Sorry if this is straying from the topic, but how can it be that my only two choices are go back to an agency that makes me negotiate my own value with every single job and then refuses to pay when a single comma is amiss OR work for a company that makes me pay just to have the OPPORTUNITY of working with them (as there's no way to guarantee you'll even make more than their $500 yearly subscription fee). Feeling lost in this industry despite my MA in Translation and over 10 years in this industry...

Thank you all for your help.
Collapse

Rebekah Olson
United States
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And if I don't work for them? Jan 12, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

For contractual reasons I probably can’t comment on whether or not I work for the company in question, but if I did I may have used their xliff editor for free for many years.

I think the whole paying to use their tool thing was a storm in a teacup a decade or more back.

[Edited at 2022-12-26 17:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-12-26 17:40 GMT]

If I don't work in-house for them, I do not have access to their software for free, correct?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:31
English to Russian
Linguistic Toolbox Jan 12, 2023

Rebekah Olson wrote:
And they all require that I provide something called an LTB report, which, as I understand it, is only possible by using their software.
They mean a report made in their QA software called Linguistic Toolbox 3. You can download it here: http://autoupdate.lionbridge.com/ltb3/LinguisticToolbox.zip

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Check your messages Jan 12, 2023

Check your email please.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Confused Jan 12, 2023

[quote]Rebekah Olson wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:

If I don't work in-house for them, I do not have access to their software for free, correct?

No, I mean I may or at not have worked for them on a freelance basis. A community partner🙄

I may or may not have xliff editor and ltb from them on my pc. Access to their own online software too. Never paid a penny for any of it. I don’t understand why you too can’t use them for free.

I only do life sciences stuff though, maybe that makes a difference?

Rebekah Olson
United States
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't have an e-mail from anyone here, if that's what you meant Jan 13, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Check your email please.

Rebekah Olson
United States
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Stepan Konev wrote:

Rebekah Olson wrote:
And they all require that I provide something called an LTB report, which, as I understand it, is only possible by using their software.
They mean a report made in their QA software called Linguistic Toolbox 3. You can download it here: http://autoupdate.lionbridge.com/ltb3/LinguisticToolbox.zip

Thank you for providing that link. When I try to download it, it asks for a tenancy and a valid log-in, which you have to pay for as far as I understand it (?). When I ask PMs for this info, they tell me I get it by subscribing to the xliff editor/geoworkz that Lionbridge owns.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
That's right Jan 13, 2023

Rebekah Olson wrote:
When I try to download it, it asks for a tenancy and a valid log-in, which you have to pay for as far as I understand it (?).
Yes, that's right. Please also check your proz messages.

[Edited at 2023-01-13 07:36 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Wrong people Jan 13, 2023

Rebekah Olson wrote:

Thank you for providing that link. When I try to download it, it asks for a tenancy and a valid log-in, which you have to pay for as far as I understand it (?). When I ask PMs for this info, they tell me I get it by subscribing to the xliff editor/geoworkz that Lionbridge owns.

Talk to community management about this. POs are uniformly clueless.

Rebekah Olson

Rebekah Olson
United States
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CM says buy our product Jan 13, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

Rebekah Olson wrote:

Talk to community management about this. POs are uniformly clueless.

I agree that PMs are uniformly clueless, it's the same at TPT. A dreaded part of translating is working with agencies - I envy those who got to work in a time before they existed.

Community management says to buy their product, they do not offer free credentials. Any work-around ideas?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Hardball? Jan 13, 2023

Rebekah Olson wrote:
Community management says to buy their product, they do not offer free credentials. Any work-around ideas?

Tell them you know others don’t pay and if they want you to work for them they will need to treat you the same?

I wouldn’t stand for it myself.

Maurits Meulenbelt
Maurits Meulenbelt  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:31
English to Dutch
+ ...
It should be free, please check the link Jan 13, 2023

Lionbridge’s tools should be available for free for freelancers. See this link on their Partner Portal: https://partners.lionbridge.com/SPPProtected/TranslationWorkspace

To quote the relevant parts (you have to be a Lionbridge partner to log in and see the page):
“As a new Community Partner, you should have received a “welcome email” from the Ge
... See more
Lionbridge’s tools should be available for free for freelancers. See this link on their Partner Portal: https://partners.lionbridge.com/SPPProtected/TranslationWorkspace

To quote the relevant parts (you have to be a Lionbridge partner to log in and see the page):
“As a new Community Partner, you should have received a “welcome email” from the GeoWorkz team with instructions on how to sign-up to access Translation Workspace. If you did not receive a welcome email, please contact the GeoWorkz team and they will address it right away.”

And:
“Freelance translators newly onboarded as Lionbridge Partners receive a free Translation Workspace subscription in the form of a “Start Up” plan. This Start Up promotional plan allows new Lionbridge translators to use Translation Workspace without any fees for an unlimited period, provided that translated volumes do not exceed 30,000 words/month for Lionbridge projects.”

They probably want to avoid agencies signing up as “partners” and then using it extensively with a lot of people. I think that’s fair. I’m not even sure how “hard” that limit is.

I have also translated Lionbridge’s xlz files with Trados in the past, and that worked well, without having to unpack them and jumping through any hoops. Just add them to a Trados project as-is. Of course that means you can’t use their translation memories, so you might want to stick with XLIFF Editor. It’s not that bad.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
What can be worse? Jan 13, 2023

Maurits Meulenbelt wrote:
I have also translated Lionbridge’s xlz files with Trados in the past, and that worked well, without having to unpack them and jumping through any hoops. Just add them to a Trados project as-is. Of course that means you can’t use their translation memories, so you might want to stick with XLIFF Editor. It’s not that bad.
When you save your translation from Trados, the output file structure is always different from the input file. That is why they can see that you used Trados and that is why they forbid using CAT tools other than their TWS XLIFF Editor.
Also I wonder what can be worse than TWS that fails to run simple commands like Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C/V, etc.

Christopher Schröder
Rebekah Olson

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lionbridge PMs can "detect" the use of SDL over their proprietary CAT tool?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »