Egmont Schröder  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:14
Member (2013)
Chinese to German
+ ...
Jan 4, 2015

Hello everybody,

For my future career, I am in need of the marketing expertise from ProZ.com linguists.

I am fully in translations for nearly one year, and so far I am quite satisfied with the development.
I am going to create a webpage with an own logo which should help me to promote my service better. I also want to design business cards with this logo and the most important contact details.

My only problem is that I need a name for this kind of bus
... See more
Hello everybody,

For my future career, I am in need of the marketing expertise from ProZ.com linguists.

I am fully in translations for nearly one year, and so far I am quite satisfied with the development.
I am going to create a webpage with an own logo which should help me to promote my service better. I also want to design business cards with this logo and the most important contact details.

My only problem is that I need a name for this kind of business.

My full name is Egmont Alexander Schröder.
Right now I am only providing translations, but I want to expand my services in the future. My plans are to be a tutor for languages and culture, to become a tourguide and do other intercultural work.
Maybe there is also an opportunity for a small import export business in the future ...

I need a name which keeps me all of these possibilities open. Since China and Taiwan is my main market, it is not convenient to use my family name "Schröder", Chinese can't pronounce it. It always ends up with "Skoda".

So the worst name would be "Schröder translation", but I can't come up with a better idea.

Thank you for your ideas. I really appreciate your help!
Collapse

Eugene Khalin
Eugene Khalin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 12:14
English to Russian
+ ...
try to use EAS as a base Jan 4, 2015

for example
EAS Translation Services
EAS Expert
EAS LangTech
EAS Asia Language
EAS China Expert
and so on

[Редактировалось 2015-01-04 14:11 GMT]

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:14
Chinese to English
奢德 Jan 4, 2015

Sounds like your name, and combines positive meanings with the Germany aspect. 奢德中德咨询公司? And some equivalent in German: Shede Chinese Consultancy?

Usch Pilz
Usch Pilz
English to German
+ ...
;-) Jan 4, 2015

ChiGer-Trans
ChiGer Language Services
EAS ChiGer

Okay, maybe this is silly. But could not resist the 'tiger' reference in connection with China.

Magda P.
Magda P.  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Greek
+ ...
From East to West Jan 4, 2015

Hi Egmont,

I have a special interest and passion in this field and currently helping out another colleague so to begin with let me just say that you have many options!
The first phrase that comes to mind is "From East to West" followed by Translation or Language Services. This will both cover your markets and the concept of expansion with a hint of culture especially if it involves Eastern countries.
If you want, I'd love to help you further completely free of charge!... See more
Hi Egmont,

I have a special interest and passion in this field and currently helping out another colleague so to begin with let me just say that you have many options!
The first phrase that comes to mind is "From East to West" followed by Translation or Language Services. This will both cover your markets and the concept of expansion with a hint of culture especially if it involves Eastern countries.
If you want, I'd love to help you further completely free of charge!
Let me know.

M.
Collapse

Lotus Hambleton
Lotus Hambleton
Philippines
Best name for business Jan 5, 2015

Hi, I just want to share my view specifically about getting a business name. I think, the one you should choose must be related to your business and easy to remember. Others who have suggested here for a business name may do. They can be correct also to include your initials. Anything that you would want to as long as it is something that will catch your target market's attention:)

Egmont Schröder
Germany
Member (2013)
Chinese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is not so easy... Jan 5, 2015

EAS seems to be a bit overused for other companies, e.g.:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EAS_(weapons)

If I hadn't this very German family name, I simply would use my full name.

Phil, you idea works good for the Chinese site, maybe I can translate it like that later on. But for the European market, it should be a good English name.

I like the idea of Magda. One of my most favourite novels is "Journey to the West". Maybe it could be used somehow?

Dragomani
Dragomani  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 12:14
Good luck! Jan 5, 2015

This excitement of the beginning is always so nice! So far I am an author of the names of two functioning companies. In both cases I just trusted the blind fortune - woke up the other morning and knew the name. Another thing that works fine for me is thinking under the shower

What I would recommend is to stake on a short name and not on abbreviation. Something like one-two words. And something that would be truly you
... See more
This excitement of the beginning is always so nice! So far I am an author of the names of two functioning companies. In both cases I just trusted the blind fortune - woke up the other morning and knew the name. Another thing that works fine for me is thinking under the shower

What I would recommend is to stake on a short name and not on abbreviation. Something like one-two words. And something that would be truly yours and people would easily associate it with you and your business.

My suggestion is "Travelogia" - first thing that crossed my mind, some mixture of travelling and logos.

Whatever name you pitch on, good luck!
Collapse

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
Egmont Jan 5, 2015

How about using your first name as the basis?
Egmont Language Services
Egmont Tour Guides
Egmont Export & Import
Etc. (Well, that could actually be ETC = Egmont Translation & Consulting. :) )

I mean, it is not so common name, and at the same time it sounds somewhat elegant or noble, at least to me. And also may remind "Egmont" by Beethoven/Goethe to some, i.e. a link to something classic(al).

Either way, I think it could perhaps be better to use
... See more
How about using your first name as the basis?
Egmont Language Services
Egmont Tour Guides
Egmont Export & Import
Etc. (Well, that could actually be ETC = Egmont Translation & Consulting. :) )

I mean, it is not so common name, and at the same time it sounds somewhat elegant or noble, at least to me. And also may remind "Egmont" by Beethoven/Goethe to some, i.e. a link to something classic(al).

Either way, I think it could perhaps be better to use different names for translation services and for export/import.

PS Sorry, I can't resist - as a Czech, I wouldn't mind your surname being pronounced "Skoda" in China... :D ;)
Collapse

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Egmont Translation & Consulting Jan 6, 2015

I quite like the idea of Tomas: Egmont Translation & Consulting.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
make sure name is permissible Jan 6, 2015

Are you registered as a "Gewerbe" or "Freiberufler"? I think that the latter are required to include their full name in the name of their business, but they can add any fantasy name they want to it as a supplement (michael wetzel kunstüberseter). You ought to make sure that you don't pick a name you can't use (I had to scrap a pile of business cards with "www.kunstübersetzer.de"/"info@kunstübersetzer": that address exists, but it causes all sorts of problems, so I had to switch to "kunstueber... See more
Are you registered as a "Gewerbe" or "Freiberufler"? I think that the latter are required to include their full name in the name of their business, but they can add any fantasy name they want to it as a supplement (michael wetzel kunstüberseter). You ought to make sure that you don't pick a name you can't use (I had to scrap a pile of business cards with "www.kunstübersetzer.de"/"info@kunstübersetzer": that address exists, but it causes all sorts of problems, so I had to switch to "kunstuebersetzer"). Or you could just register as a "Gewerbe" before you really have to, because you are planning to move in that direction anyway.

And as an aside: a clear business plan is probably the best way to come up with a good name and intentionally keeping your name vague because your business plan is still vague seems a little backwards to me, but I also agree that "Egmont Translation & Consulting" really is a very nice answer to the question you asked.
Collapse

Egmont Schröder
Germany
Member (2013)
Chinese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Egmont is the name of a publisher Jan 8, 2015

Egmont is already the name of a publishing company:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egmont_Group

I am afraid to get problems with the copyright, but maybe I should try to work for them later on:)

And as an aside: a clear business plan is probably the best way to come up with a good name and intentionally keeping your name vague because your business plan is still vague seems a little backwards to me, but I also agree that "Egmont Translation & Consulting" really is a very nice answer to the question you asked.

What do you mean with "backwards"?
I confess that I am really not reinventing the wheel, but translating and teaching is something I want to do.

Maybe I should use something like "East and West" as a header and then "Egmont Schröder language service" as a subtitle.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best name for my business

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »