Does Mac Need Microsoft Defender?
Afishuesi i rubrikës: John Colangelo
John Colangelo
John Colangelo  Identity Verified
Katar
Local time: 02:32
arabisht në anglisht
+ ...
Feb 27, 2023

Dear Colleagues,

I've been using a Mac since around 2018, and I have never been happier.

I also have a year subscription of Microsoft Office 365 and one of the features is Microsoft Defender at no extra cost.

The question is for my colleagues who use Mac. Would it hurt to use Microsoft Defender on my Mac or is it just a waste of space.

Yours,

John

P.S. Check out the Forbes article on the topic. I read it but I am
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I've been using a Mac since around 2018, and I have never been happier.

I also have a year subscription of Microsoft Office 365 and one of the features is Microsoft Defender at no extra cost.

The question is for my colleagues who use Mac. Would it hurt to use Microsoft Defender on my Mac or is it just a waste of space.

Yours,

John

P.S. Check out the Forbes article on the topic. I read it but I am still undecided.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/barrycollins/2022/07/02/microsoft-defender-for-mac-is-this-some-kind-of-joke/?sh=4ba8c3bc1b5f
▲ Collapse


 
WolfgangS
WolfgangS
Francë
Local time: 01:32
anglisht në gjermanisht
+ ...
Defender Feb 27, 2023

John Colangelo wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

I've been using a Mac since around 2018, and I have never been happier.

I also have a year subscription of Microsoft Office 365 and one of the features is Microsoft Defender at no extra cost.

The question is for my colleagues who use Mac. Would it hurt to use Microsoft Defender on my Mac or is it just a waste of space.

Yours,

John

P.S. Check out the Forbes article on the topic. I read it but I am still undecided.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/barrycollins/2022/07/02/microsoft-defender-for-mac-is-this-some-kind-of-joke/?sh=4ba8c3bc1b5f


Working on a Mac, too, since 1984
My system: iMac 27" 2019, Monterey, Parallels, Windows 11, and, yes, I uninstalled Kaspersky IS and installed Microsoft Defender for Windows, and on the Mac side I use Avira. Everything works fine, so far.


 
Tom in London
Tom in London
Mbretëria e Bashkuar
Local time: 00:32
italisht në anglisht
No Feb 27, 2023

The Mac operating system is like a fortress. Nothing can get in that doesn't pass a series of checks that are built into the system (which is constantly checked and is periodically updated).

I have been using Macs since 1995 and I have never had a virus. You don't need Microsoft to "defend" you. Microsoft Defender will just slow down the way your computer works. It may even be harmful.

Of course, ultimately it depends on you and whoever else has access to your Mac. Nob
... See more
The Mac operating system is like a fortress. Nothing can get in that doesn't pass a series of checks that are built into the system (which is constantly checked and is periodically updated).

I have been using Macs since 1995 and I have never had a virus. You don't need Microsoft to "defend" you. Microsoft Defender will just slow down the way your computer works. It may even be harmful.

Of course, ultimately it depends on you and whoever else has access to your Mac. Nobody can defend you from *yourself*

Here are a few quotes from Reddit:

Screenshot



[Edited at 2023-02-27 08:27 GMT]
▲ Collapse


neilmac
 
CafeTran Trainer
CafeTran Trainer
Holandë
Anëtar qysh 2006
gjermanisht në holandisht
+ ...
In times of war ... Feb 27, 2023

... it is good to be armed.

For what it's worth, I use this one:

Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 09.49.19

Nothing is bulletproof. Prudence and reason are required.


WolfgangS
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Mac Need Microsoft Defender?






Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt
Check translations faster for consistency, quality and style guide compliance

PerfectIt helps professional translators deliver error-free documents in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint. It helps improve consistency, ensure quality, and enforce style guides. ProZ members receive a 30% discount off individual purchases of PerfectIt.

More info »