Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38]
Ask me anything about subtitling
Thread poster: Max Deryagin
SAMON UT
SAMON UT
Cambodia
Local time: 20:33
English to Khmer (Central)
+ ...
Whisper Aug 17, 2023

I tried the standalone executable for Faster-Whisper you're talking about, and it was indeed quicker than the regular Whisper, even on my slightly older system. The automatic GPU processing was a cool touch, although I faced some minor hiccups in getting it running initially. Overall, it's a handy tool for those who don't want to mess with Python.

Nourhane Atmani
Nourhane Atmani
Algeria
Local time: 14:33
Member (2023)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Whisper experience Aug 21, 2023

SAMON UT wrote:

I tried the standalone executable for Faster-Whisper you're talking about, and it was indeed quicker than the regular Whisper, even on my slightly older system. The automatic GPU processing was a cool touch, although I faced some minor hiccups in getting it running initially. Overall, it's a handy tool for those who don't want to mess with Python.

I've used Faster-Whisper a handful of times on my own projects, and I can vouch for its speed, especially with automatic GPU processing. On my mid-range system, it significantly cut down rendering times. I also liked the user-friendly interface, although, like you, I faced some initial setup issues. But once up and running, it performed well.

I started working with experts who make subtitles in large quantities for my orders. So if someone needs to accomplish some large orders without headaches, you can find here these subtitling services. They've quickly churned out accurate subs, often getting them back to me in just a few hours.

[Edited at 2023-08-21 16:16 GMT]

Ewa Kobylinska
Ewa Kobylinska
France
Local time: 15:33
French to Polish
+ ...
EZT or TTML in Aegisub? Aug 28, 2023

Hello dear fellow translators!

I need some help urgently... I have an EZT file (which I have also in TTML format) and I need to add some new subtitles into it. I tried to convert it into SRT and open it in Aegisub (I'm a MACOS user) but ALL the timecodes are the same (9:59:59.99).

Pleeeease, help!

Tanja Nestorović
Tanja Nestorović  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2021)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Hi Max Aug 30, 2023

Max Deryagin wrote:

Hello fellow ProZians,

In this topic I (and hopefully my colleagues that frequent this subforum) will try to answer all your questions about subtitling that you always wanted to ask but thought it didn't warrant a whole new topic.

Ask away!

I have a question. How do I calculate remuneration for two subtitled films and one QC at $2.5 per program minute for translation and $1 for QC per program minute.

Does this mean the entire length of the film, or just subtitled parts, or something else? Pls, help

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:33
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Aug 30, 2023

Tanja Nestorović wrote:

I have a question. How do I calculate remuneration for two subtitled films and one QC at $2.5 per program minute for translation and $1 for QC per program minute.

Does this mean the entire length of the film, or just subtitled parts, or something else? Pls, help

Hi Tanja,

Yes, the entire length

Mr. Satan (X)

Claudia Matt
Claudia Matt  Identity Verified
France
Member (2019)
French to German
+ ...
Problem reopening translated subtitles in Subtitle Edit Feb 13

Hello Max and everyone...

I'm not an experienced user of SE, but had managed to translate subtitles for a little video in translation mode. So I had the subtitles in the original language and their translation. Then I had to work on a different computer, and I've transferred my subtitle file to this computer, only when I open it, there is only the target language appearing, as well in "Text" as in "Original text". I've even repeated the transfer once again, paying more attention, bu
... See more

I'm not an experienced user of SE, but had managed to translate subtitles for a little video in translation mode. So I had the subtitles in the original language and their translation. Then I had to work on a different computer, and I've transferred my subtitle file to this computer, only when I open it, there is only the target language appearing, as well in "Text" as in "Original text". I've even repeated the transfer once again, paying more attention, but the result was still the same.

Can you imagine what went wrong? I've checked whether on the "old" computer, there are in fact the two languages: there are.

I hope you can help me.

Kind regards,
Claudia
Collapse

brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
. Feb 14

Hello Claudia,

I'm no Max Deryagin. But hopefully, I can still provide some help.

Regarding your problem, that is because Subtitle Edit doesn’t save subtitles as a bilingual file. I’m merely guessing, but the reason it appeared as a bilingual file on your previous computer is probably because of the automatically-generated backup files. You may be able to fix the issue by also copying those backup fi
... See more
Hello Claudia,

I'm no Max Deryagin. But hopefully, I can still provide some help.

Regarding your problem, that is because Subtitle Edit doesn’t save subtitles as a bilingual file. I’m merely guessing, but the reason it appeared as a bilingual file on your previous computer is probably because of the automatically-generated backup files. You may be able to fix the issue by also copying those backup files to the other computer.

But you’re still not supposed to use SE the way you did. In the future, please open the subtitle file using the following method, and please do these steps in order.

1. In the menu bar, click File > Open > Select the subtitle file in source language
    2. After the subtitles in the source language are loaded, click File > Open original subtitle (translator mode) > Select the same file as in the previous step. This will open the translator mode with a side-by-side layout
    3. Enter your translations in the “Text” box (the left one by default). It's OK to overwrite the source texts as long as you select “Save as” option when saving your work for the first time
    4. Save the translated subtitles by clicking File > Save as > Enter the file name and file format you desire. Do not select “Save” option for your first save, since it will overwrite the source file
    5. At this point, you are free to copy the subtitle files to another computer
    6. To reopen the file properly, first click File > Open > Select the translated subtitle file
    7. After the translated subtitles are loaded, click File > Open original subtitle (translator mode) > Select the subtitle file in source language

It should retain the original structure, even after you copied them to another computer. Remember: both subtitle files must be copied. They work like a pair.

[Edited at 2024-02-14 13:58 GMT]
Collapse

brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
. Feb 15

Novian Cahyadi wrote:
Remember: both subtitle files must be copied. They work like a pair.

Clarification: by both, I meant the source language subtitle file and the translated subtitle file. Sorry if I've caused any confusion.

Claudia Matt
France
Member (2019)
French to German
+ ...
. Feb 15

Hello Novian,
Thank you very much for your answer!
I will certainly do so next time I translate in Subtitle Edit, thank you for your description, which is very helpful.
Well, I don't know where to find the backup files and am afraid I couldn't handle them properly anyway... So what I did for this time is to just open two SE windows, one with the original text, the other with my translation.
Kind regards,
Claudia

brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
. Feb 15

Claudia Matt wrote:
Well, I don't know where to find the backup files and am afraid I couldn't handle them properly anyway...

Hello Claudia,

On my Linux system, they are stored in the /home/user/.subtitle_edit/AutoBackup folder. You then only need to place them in the same location on the new computer.

I don't use Windows or macOS, so I'm afraid I don't know the path on those systems. But the same idea should also apply.

[Edited at 2024-02-15 13:56 GMT]

Max Deryagin

Claudia Matt
France
Member (2019)
French to German
+ ...
Problem solved! Feb 15

Thank you again, Novian!
I've found them, and learned quite some things, thanks to you.
This was great!
Kind regards,
Claudia

brovxidfmgan (X)

Hindi Enjoye (X)
Hindi Enjoye (X)
Albania
Hindi Subtitle Generation Feb 19

Greetings!

I have a question regarding the automatic Hindi subtitle generation.
I oftenly use SE to generate English subtitles with Const-me and a large (2.88gig) model. It works fine.
However, when I choose other languages, it never creates them correctly. It takes 5-10 times longer to be generated, and usually only generates a few first minutes of the video. All the other subtitles are filled with some random symbols, "Music", or a copy of the last recognised sentence.
... See more
Greetings!

I oftenly use SE to generate English subtitles with Const-me and a large (2.88gig) model. It works fine.
However, when I choose other languages, it never creates them correctly. It takes 5-10 times longer to be generated, and usually only generates a few first minutes of the video. All the other subtitles are filled with some random symbols, "Music", or a copy of the last recognised sentence.

Is there a way to automatically generate good quality Hindi/other uncommon languages subtitles? Maybe there are some custom engines available, which I couldn't find. Or maybe there is a free online resource where I could do it?

Regards
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Feb 19

Claudia Matt wrote:

I'm not an experienced user of SE, but had managed to translate subtitles for a little video in translation mode. So I had the subtitles in the original language and their translation. Then I had to work on a different computer, and I've transferred my subtitle file to this computer, only when I open it, there is only the target language appearing, as well in "Text" as in "Original text". I've even repeated the transfer once again, paying more attention, but the result was still the same.

Can you imagine what went wrong? I've checked whether on the "old" computer, there are in fact the two languages: there are.

I hope you can help me.

Kind regards,
Claudia

Hi Claudia,

Sorry about not answering; I somehow didn't get any notification! And thanks to Novian for the great instructions and for picking up my slack!

Hindi Enjoyer wrote:

Greetings!

Is there a way to automatically generate good quality Hindi/other uncommon languages subtitles? Maybe there are some custom engines available, which I couldn't find. Or maybe there is a free online resource where I could do it?

Regards

Hi Hindi Enjoyer,

Nope, automatic speech recognition is only good with so-called high-resource languages, i.e. the languages with large available datasets. The English dataset is by far the biggest one, so the files you get can be at times pretty decent (though it depends on the video's sound quality, whether there's overlapping dialogue, etc.) As far as I know, Hindi is a low-resource language for ASR (as far as free solutions), so the results will likely be not so good, although I've seen people claim they have models with very high accuracy. What you could try, though — if permitted! — is upload your video to YouTube (set as private) and have YT auto-generate Hindi subtitles (you can export the file).

Not sure why SE creates subs only for a few video minutes. Must be a bug.

brovxidfmgan (X)

Nicolás Sivero
Nicolás Sivero
Argentina
Local time: 10:33
Member (Feb 2024)
English to Spanish
Font selection in SMPTE xml - Subtitle Edit Mar 28

Hello Max,

I was wondering if you could help me with my question. I have always worked with the tool Subtitle Edit, and mainly with the formats .srt and .ass. Now, I have been assigned a project to subtitle a video into English with the format SMPTE 2007 (more specifically, SMPTE 428-7-2007). I found that format in Subtitle Edit, and I found out that if I click on "File" in Subtitle Edit, there is the option "D-Cinema SMPTE 2007 properties" (this appears if you have previously chose
... See more
Hello Max,

I was wondering if you could help me with my question. I have always worked with the tool Subtitle Edit, and mainly with the formats .srt and .ass. Now, I have been assigned a project to subtitle a video into English with the format SMPTE 2007 (more specifically, SMPTE 428-7-2007). I found that format in Subtitle Edit, and I found out that if I click on "File" in Subtitle Edit, there is the option "D-Cinema SMPTE 2007 properties" (this appears if you have previously chosen the format D-Cinema SMPTE 2007). The problem is that I don't know how to change the font inside the properties screen. We have the option to add a font ID (which I think is not the font itself), and then we are given a URI. When I export the subtitle file into an XML file, I can see all the details, but the font is always the same; it doesn't matter the font ID that I wrote or the URI assigned. I use DCP-o-matic to check, and it is always the same font.

I wanted to know if there is a way to change the font in that subtitle format.

Thank you very much in advance.
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Mar 28

Nicolás Sivero wrote:

Hello Max,

I was wondering if you could help me with my question. I have always worked with the tool Subtitle Edit, and mainly with the formats .srt and .ass. Now, I have been assigned a project to subtitle a video into English with the format SMPTE 2007 (more specifically, SMPTE 428-7-2007). I found that format in Subtitle Edit, and I found out that if I click on "File" in Subtitle Edit, there is the option "D-Cinema SMPTE 2007 properties" (this appears if you have previously chosen the format D-Cinema SMPTE 2007). The problem is that I don't know how to change the font inside the properties screen. We have the option to add a font ID (which I think is not the font itself), and then we are given a URI. When I export the subtitle file into an XML file, I can see all the details, but the font is always the same; it doesn't matter the font ID that I wrote or the URI assigned. I use DCP-o-matic to check, and it is always the same font.

I wanted to know if there is a way to change the font in that subtitle format.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hi Nicolás,

Knut Erik Evensen answered your question neatly in one of his articles: https://www.knuterikevensen.com/2021/10/17/converting-srt-to-smpte-xml-in-subtitle-edit/

brovxidfmgan (X)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask me anything about subtitling

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »