Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What is 'experience working with Netflix'?
Thread poster: Farshad Sadoughian
Farshad Sadoughian
Farshad Sadoughian  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:04
Member (2021)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Aug 28, 2021

Hey everyone,

I saw a subtitling project that says: "Having a previous experience working with Netflix is a MUST"

I have some experience with subtitling, but not with Netflix. I'm curious to know what exactly they mean and what this experience of working with Netflix amounts to.

Thanks,

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Seems literal Aug 28, 2021

Iirc they hire direct

Farshad Sadoughian

Mohamad Alayoubi
Mohamad Alayoubi
Lebanon
Local time: 11:04
English to Arabic
Working experience with Netflix Aug 28, 2021

This is a really weird way to pick subtitlers, because how will I gain experience working with Netflix If I need experience to work with Netflix in the first place?
Best of luck anyway.

Farshad Sadoughian
Rogério Ribeiro
Sofia Bouayad

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:04
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Quote anyway Aug 29, 2021

Perhaps they actually mean that you must be familiar with the Netflix guidelines. Other than this I agree with Mohamad.

Farshad Sadoughian
Mohamad Alayoubi
Gianni Pastore
Rogério Ribeiro
Sofia Bouayad

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:04
Member (2004)
English to Italian
who says... Aug 29, 2021

that the subtitling project is for Netflix?

Adieu
Farshad Sadoughian

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Nobody says... Aug 30, 2021

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

It doesn't have to be for Netflix, but many agencies nowadays require Netflix standards.

Mohamad Alayoubi
Farshad Sadoughian
Mr. Satan (X)

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Indeed Sep 2, 2021

Thayenga wrote:

Perhaps they actually mean that you must be familiar with the Netflix guidelines. Other than this I agree with Mohamad.

Netflix guidelines are very strict, so I guess they want to save time by hiring someone who's already familiar with the process.

Farshad Sadoughian
Mr. Satan (X)

Farshad Sadoughian
Farshad Sadoughian  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2021)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 2, 2021

Thank you everyone for the feedback!
They didn't mention that it's for Netflix or not, but as some said, it should be about Netflix guidelines and nothing else!

Victoria Bland
Victoria Bland
United States
Netflix Sep 24, 2021

I always wanted to try to work with Netflix, I guess you are lucky if you try once

Jason Franzman
Jason Franzman  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
Experience working with Netflix means you've worked with one of its partner translation companies Dec 12, 2021

Netflix has been using a number of partner companies to assign work to freelancers ever since the company closed its Hermes testing portal. It's no longer possible to work directly with Netflix as a freelancer as far as I know.

Some of the partners are better than others, though. Some adhere to the Netflix rate card and pay freelancers all or most of the Netflix-set rate, while others take a huge cut. I know because one of the vendors I work for pays 100% of the Netflix rate, and I
... See more
Netflix has been using a number of partner companies to assign work to freelancers ever since the company closed its Hermes testing portal. It's no longer possible to work directly with Netflix as a freelancer as far as I know.

Some of the partners are better than others, though. Some adhere to the Netflix rate card and pay freelancers all or most of the Netflix-set rate, while others take a huge cut. I know because one of the vendors I work for pays 100% of the Netflix rate, and I have a colleague at another one who also gets 100%. I have no idea how those two companies make money on projects, but I suspect they get project management fees from Netflix, but that's just a guess.

Here's a list of some vendors:

http://gvm.netflixstudios.com/partners.html

To work with a Netflix partner, you need to know how to adhere to their timing and style guide, as this document shows:

https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/217350977-English-Timed-Text-Style-Guide
Collapse

Elena Feriani
Melina Kajander

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:04
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
See above Dec 12, 2021

Thayenga wrote:

It doesn't have to be for Netflix, but many agencies nowadays require Netflix standards.

Somebody implied it is for Netflix above.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Agreed Dec 12, 2021

You are right. The OP didn't say his potential subtitling project is for Netflix. I was wondering why somebody assumed it was.

[Edited at 2021-12-12 11:39 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:04
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I think... Dec 12, 2021

they misread the post, or maybe they know something I don't know...

Jason Franzman
Jason Franzman  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
Information about "Netflix experience" and "how to get it" is very much relevant to this thread Dec 12, 2021

jyuan_us wrote:

You are right. The OP didn't say his potential subtitling project is for Netflix. I was wondering why somebody assumed it was.

[Edited at 2021-12-12 11:39 GMT]

The original poster did specifically mention the topic of this thread is Netflix. The original post was entitled "What is 'experience working with Netflix'?" Regardless of whether the poster was offered a Netflix job, information about "Netflix experience" and "how to get it" is very much relevant.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Did anybody say Dec 12, 2021

Mohamad Alayoubi wrote:

This is a really weird way to pick subtitlers, because how will I gain experience working with Netflix If I need experience to work with Netflix in the first place?
Best of luck anyway.

Did anybody say one needs experience working with Netflix to work with Netflix?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is 'experience working with Netflix'?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »