Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
The strange rise of Denglisch

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "The strange rise of Denglisch".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 17:48
German to English
more terms Nov 7, 2013

The ones I hate the most include: down/upgeloadet and upgedatet

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The world catches up at last Nov 7, 2013

We used to talk like this at school, making up "private languages", usually consisting of adding syllables or truncating words, sort of like "Hog Latin", which I think may be a similar phenomenon. I do agree though, that "upgeloadet" sounds terrible. If I heard a German saying it I'd think they were taking the... mickey.

jcjenkins
jcjenkins  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:48
German to English
Amusing, though! Nov 8, 2013

It's always funny and interesting when the structure of a language is used (as in the past tense here) to make "new" words. One of my favourites is "gehighlightet".

Wolfgang Vogt
Wolfgang Vogt  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:48
English to German
+ ...
Gutos son gustos Nov 8, 2013

neilmac wrote:

We used to talk like this at school, making up "private languages", usually consisting of adding syllables or truncating words, sort of like "Hog Latin", which I think may be a similar phenomenon. I do agree though, that "upgeloadet" sounds terrible. If I heard a German saying it I'd think they were taking the... mickey.

I had a client not so long ago who wanted me to replace every instance of "hochgeladen" with "upgeloaded"... There's a nice saying in Spanish that starts with "Gutos son gustos dijo una vieja..."

Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nothing special Nov 8, 2013

In Dutch there are even special rules for the conjugation of English verbs mainly.

'Gedeletet', for example. Or 'geüpdatet'. Or the false 'upgedatet', because people are not sure if it's a separable verb or not.

To be honest, I find 'hochladen' sounds absolutely horrible, as does 'Rechner' for 'computer'.

German has resisted the use of English very much, but it seems it's coming.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Handy Nov 8, 2013

Many of us knew that something was going to be really wrong when people started to say "Handy".

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Terrible Nov 9, 2013

Roy Williams wrote:

The ones I hate the most include: down/upgeloadet and upgedatet

These terms really make me cringe every time I have to read them. Personally, I would downright refuse to use them.

And I have to disagree with Kirsten Bodart, German has most certainly not resisted the use of English, it has been absolutely everywhere for quite a while.
Just think of Callcenter, Servicecenter, Hotline, Helpdesk, relaxen, chillen, Meeting, Business etc. to name just a few examples. German business speak is full of Denglisch, some probably believe it makes them seem more important.

Some also seem to think that they sound incredibly "hip" if they use English terms for "Schönheit", "Körper" etc. and come up with things like "Beauty für deinen Body". Ridiculous IMHO.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/7#7
Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Germany
Member (2012)
Japanese to English
+ ...
LOLst du? Nov 11, 2013

Gosh, I have not laughed this hard in a long time... "Beauty für deinen Body" in particular had me in stitches.
"Fixen" also makes me laugh whenever I hear it. "Shitstorm" has to rank as my all-time favourite though. I don't think "Handy" is an Anglicism though because hand in German is Hand... so the etymology could very well be purely German.

Sure, the purists are probably all up in arms about their language changing but English just happens to be the international language
... See more
Gosh, I have not laughed this hard in a long time... "Beauty für deinen Body" in particular had me in stitches.
"Fixen" also makes me laugh whenever I hear it. "Shitstorm" has to rank as my all-time favourite though. I don't think "Handy" is an Anglicism though because hand in German is Hand... so the etymology could very well be purely German.

Sure, the purists are probably all up in arms about their language changing but English just happens to be the international language of choice at the moment, which means it pops up everywhere. Granted, it sounds ridiculous, but frankly, I think English knowledge in Germany still has some cache, otherwise people wouldn't try to forcibly squeeze it into German shoes, so to speak. Once it loses that status and, for example, Chinese becomes the global language of choice (yes, I am being facetious), you'll have even more hilarious examples of linguistic transmutation. I'm quite sure of it.
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:48
German to English
+ ...
And a CAT tool-related one Nov 12, 2013

Almost every German client I have who uses CAT tools says "gecleant" for a segmented file that has been cleaned.

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
Local time: 11:48
English to French
+ ...
Also Frenglish and Spanglish Nov 13, 2013

There are also numerous examples of Frenglish (French-English mixture) in France and Canada (and probably elsewhere), the funniest part being pronunciation of English words by people who have no knowledge of English; and Spanglish (Spanish-English mixture) is invading the United States and Mexico.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Franglais surely Nov 13, 2013

Jean-Pierre I was just about to observe that we talk about "Chinglish" and "Denglisch" and "Spanglish", but when it comes to English invading the French langauge it's called "franglais"

and wondering about the significance of that...

And there you are in Quebec talking about "Frenglish"? In Quebec, the last bastion of pure French?

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
Local time: 11:48
English to French
+ ...
Frenglish and franglais Nov 13, 2013

You are right, the usual French word to designate this unacceptable mixture is "franglais". However when I speak English I tend to use the word "Frenglish" humoristically, and so do my friends; over time I have tended to use it as an accepted English word, but I doubt you would find it in any dictionary. This is the subject of numerous jokes among the people I know, in both languages.

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Another vote for linguistic purity Nov 13, 2013

Personally I prefer it when the source text/speaker sticks to their own language. I've never found it so difficult to interpret as when someone insists in speaking half of the time in very poor English and the rest in French, and yesterday I was stuck for ages trying to work out how to rephrase the French use of "roaming" regarding mobile services, which they don't use quite as we would in English!

Oh, and yes, Tomás - I also came across "handy" while working for an Austrian company
... See more
Personally I prefer it when the source text/speaker sticks to their own language. I've never found it so difficult to interpret as when someone insists in speaking half of the time in very poor English and the rest in French, and yesterday I was stuck for ages trying to work out how to rephrase the French use of "roaming" regarding mobile services, which they don't use quite as we would in English!

Oh, and yes, Tomás - I also came across "handy" while working for an Austrian company and found it curiously repulsive!
Collapse

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:48
German to English
+ ...
Sandwiches Nov 14, 2013

My favourite will always be the architectural historian, who, when describing a funerary monument in fine detail, in all seriousness described it as being gesandwichet between two columns. I think he was rather hurt when I couldn't stop myself laughing out loud at that one.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The strange rise of Denglisch

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »